Suggest treatment for shoulder tendonitis

Posted on Thu, 9 Nov 2017 in General Health
Question: Hello Dr.Ditah. What is the anatomical reason that my shoulder tendonitis causes me greatest discomfort when I try to move my arm behind me or extend it out towards the rear?

Also regarding dieting, I have found that I seemed to have been resistant to weight loss when using three protein powder drinks daily containing aspartame, but did much better when stopping them. Is aspartame so capable of interfering with weight?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some studies have reported weight gain with aspartame!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for following up with me.

1. Pain would be elicited when the affected muscle tendon in question is being used. I believe that particular movement makes use of the specific muscle to a greater extent and this explains why you have this. Remember, not necessarily all the muscle tendons are affected and what movement seems to reproduce the pain or make it worse informs the probably affected muscle.

2. Studies have reported weight gain issues with aspartame. While the body of evidence is growing, no one can say for sure what the exact response to this is. At this time, I will rather be cautious and advise that you stay away from it and more so because you have had weight gain issues with it.

I hope this helps. How is the pain at the shouldering?-Getting better or all the same?

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Thank you. It's better after the cortisone except if I make a sudden backward extension of my arm. That is also a little less uncomfortable. I was just mystified as to which muscle or tendon is involved with that particular movement.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
I can’t tell the exact muscle from this!

Detailed Answer:

Unfortunately, that information alone is not sufficient to determine which muscle is affected. It takes a very careful clinical evaluation to be able to make that call.

I wish you a continued and good recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Chobufo Ditah