Suggest treatment for shoulder tendonitis

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am getting blotchy red and white skin over my whole shoulder and lower back when I am having sharp pain in my shoulder , the clavicle and the rotarcuff area mainly the intensifies with pain and pain spreads across my back and neck and into my right arm and I have trouble breathing this goes on four times a day for about half an hour or longer eachtime , I try to push my shoulder back in so I can get relief and relax and get air , I try light pain relief and a dull heat pack to help relax , at a last resort I have been given a paper bag or a lorazpam
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be shoulder tendonitis.

Detailed Answer:
From the symptoms that you have described, it seems to be Rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder impingement syndrome which causes irritation and inflammation of the rotator cuff and the bursa and hence pain.
You need to get an MRI scan done which is a more sensitive test for soft tissue and muscular injuries. An Orthopedician is the best person to be consulted.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.

If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical arthroscopic technique (kept as last resort).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar