Suggest treatment for shoulder pain and numbness in hand

Posted on Wed, 13 May 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: right shoulder pain, onset numbness in right hand. I am a pharmacy technician, 56 yrs old Have a cholesterol level of 380, inherited from my mother. Panel is ok, because good cholesterol is very high, but I'm concerned because I'm an alcoholic, and think this is related to my condition. Please advise. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It can be cervical spondylitis

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. Pain in right shoulder with tingling in hand is most probably cervical spondylitis. In this condition there is nerve compression in neck due to disc herniation in spinal canal.I would recommend you following.
1.Get x ray of the neck to confirm the diagnosis.
2.You need to avoid alcohol and smoking.
3.Avoid keeping neck in same position for long time. Avoid using very high pillow.
4.Intermittent cervical traction exercises will be helpful for you.
5.Take Pregabalin M one daily a night time after discussing with your doctor.
I hope these steps will be helpful for you. Let me know if there is any other followup questions. I will try my best to help you.
thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement