Suggest treatment for shoulder injury

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Once when I was playing squash last year, I injured my shoulder muscle. Don't know exactly where and what but it happened when I swung my racquet. Evere since then, every now and then when I play i get the same place or muscle injured. But the pain eventually goes away. What should I do about it?
Answered by Dr. Rajaram KG 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Orthpedic evaluation and imaging is needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.
I think you have got tendonitis or rotator cuff tear. To rule out any bony pathology, Xray of the affected joint may be required. In the absence of a bony pathology, an MRI of your shoulder may be required to rule out rotator cuff injury.
My recommendations are-
1. Please consult an orthopedic surgeon for clinical examination and further evaluation.
2. Please rest the affected shoulder. Movement of elbow joint and wrist joint should be continued to avoid stiffness. Also avoid activities that cause pain.
3. Ibuprofen or naproxen may be taken for temporary relief from pain. In addition, you should have pantoprazole or omeprazole to avoid development of peptic ulcer disease. Please also remember, prolonged intake of analgesic is definitely harmful for your body. They are only for temporary pain relief.
4.Exercise and physiotherapy can only be done after pain subsides and there is no untreated bony pathology.
5. Surgery may be required depending upon the underlying pathology, healing status and duration of symptom. Local steroid injections may also be given if conservative management is decided and there is intractable pain.
I hope I have successfully answered your query.
If you need any further information, please write back.
If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it.
In case you have a new unrelated query, you can directly ask me questions @
Dr. Kaushik
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Answered by
Dr. Rajaram KG

Orthopaedic Surgeon


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  

Recent questions on  Local steroid injections

doctor1 MD

I am a 52 year old male. I continue to have stomach pain on a regular basis. It comes and goes and can be triggered by certain food. I have been...

doctor1 MD

How to treat trochanteric bursitis . Ihave been doing laser and ultrasound therapy for eight times and 70% of the pain is gone. Now i get thigh...

doctor1 MD

I have pain in my arms. Mainly around the front of my arm in the elbow area. It never seems to go away. So painful yesterday, I couldn't do any...

doctor1 MD

Hi I am a male in my early 40 and have plantar fasiitis for last 8 months... have tried insoles, night splint stretches and exercise as well as...

doctor1 MD

I hqave 2 herniated disc with leg and arm pain and numbness . I am in really bad pain, what do you suggest ?

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

182 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction