Suggest treatment for shoulder injury

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Once when I was playing squash last year, I injured my shoulder muscle. Don't know exactly where and what but it happened when I swung my racquet. Evere since then, every now and then when I play i get the same place or muscle injured. But the pain eventually goes away. What should I do about it?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Orthpedic evaluation and imaging is needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.
I think you have got tendonitis or rotator cuff tear. To rule out any bony pathology, Xray of the affected joint may be required. In the absence of a bony pathology, an MRI of your shoulder may be required to rule out rotator cuff injury.
My recommendations are-
1. Please consult an orthopedic surgeon for clinical examination and further evaluation.
2. Please rest the affected shoulder. Movement of elbow joint and wrist joint should be continued to avoid stiffness. Also avoid activities that cause pain.
3. Ibuprofen or naproxen may be taken for temporary relief from pain. In addition, you should have pantoprazole or omeprazole to avoid development of peptic ulcer disease. Please also remember, prolonged intake of analgesic is definitely harmful for your body. They are only for temporary pain relief.
4.Exercise and physiotherapy can only be done after pain subsides and there is no untreated bony pathology.
5. Surgery may be required depending upon the underlying pathology, healing status and duration of symptom. Local steroid injections may also be given if conservative management is decided and there is intractable pain.
I hope I have successfully answered your query.
If you need any further information, please write back.
If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it.
In case you have a new unrelated query, you can directly ask me questions @
http://www.HealthcareMagic.com/doctors/dr-kaushik-sarkar/68460
Dr. Kaushik
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T