Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for shoulder injury

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10447 Questions
I had a fall and dislocated the shoulder.
X-rays show that it is not a dislocation. But 2 weeks later I still have a pronounced high 'bone' noticeably above my normal shoulder height. Should I wait for it to heal without interfering or see a specialist? Our doctor thinks it will heal itself. I have some pain but am XXXXXXX and confused what to do.
The doctor underlined:
She thinks it might be a tuype 3 injury. The injury involves a complete tear of both the AC and CC ligaments . Although swelling may obscure the degree of injury. This is from a IT information.

should I asked my local doctor to make the 2 sets of x rays available to you? I did not question my local doctor and am a little hesitant to go above her.
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
acromio clavicular subluxation with ligament tear.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
It seems that you have acromio clavicular subluxation with ligament tear.
Your doctor is correct in saying that it will heal gradually with rest in 3-4 weeks. You can take mild pain killers to deal with the pain. Using broad arm sling will help.
You can also upload your X-rays in the box provided on the right hand side of the query box. It will help in better evaluation.
To confirm the diagnosis and to find out the extent of the ligament tear you can get an MRI scan of the affected shoulder done and consult an orthopedician with the reports.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for shoulder injury 2 days later
I obtained the last X-ray and could give you the access details to obtain the X-rays.
The specialist included a report with the x-ray:
There has been no significant change when compared to the previous examination of 30.6.2014. There is persisting superior subluxation of the lateral aspect of the clavicle with associated widening of the AC joint and a small intervening bone density. Dr. XXXXXXX Osborn
South East Radiology is now able to provide patients images for requesting practitioners on line. Please email :
YYYY@YYYY for more information.
Instant Online Access: Yellow Button Request access code
Request Number: 2014J0000 MRN: 111264

Would you like to do this?
Would some physiotherapy or massage help??
Should I continue to be careful not stressing the right shoulder?
Or simply allow time to heal?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Just take rest.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
It is an AC subluxation. Just take rest and allow it some time to heal on its own. It is too early to get a physiotherapy. Just wait for it to heal. It will take 3-4 weeks to recover. Do not stress the right shoulder.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for shoulder injury 34 minutes later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX
I have a pronounced kind of bony elevation (bulging) on the far end of my right shoulder.
It is very noticeable. About 1'2 finger in height.
Should I ignore it or be concerned?
Will this bump subside itself?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it will reduce.

Detailed Answer:
The lump is the prominent lateral end of clavicle. Once the ligaments are healed this end will fit into its place and the lump will be gone. Please do not worry.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor