Suggest treatment for shortness of breath

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 16 Jan 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi I'm having a problem with my breathing it seems that I lose my breath when I'm relaxed or going into a sleep mode this has been going on for about 2 weeks or maybe 3 nor sure but I've notice when I'm walking at a normal speed feels that my lung are on fire an when I try to take a deep breath it feels sore now if I press on my esophagus area it's kinda painful now I walk a lot but recently have put on some pounds any idea
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be effects of chest cold that you had.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query on HCM.

I would like to know if:

You have any allergies?

Are you overweight?

Do you snore while sleeping?

Are you a smoker?

You have mentioned that you recently had chest cold. Your symptoms could be because of the cold. You should continue with the inhalers, preferrably symbicort/seroflw and take a tablet of montair lc daily.

If the symptoms persist, beyound a week or two, i eill advise that you should consult a local pulmonologist so that he can examine you in person and ask for necessary tests like chest xray, spirometry, CT scan chest and others including sleep studies as required. He can then guide you regarding the treatment.

Do post if you have any more queries and I will be glad to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng