Suggest treatment for shortness of breath

Dr. Manisha Gopal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 20 Nov 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I AM HAVING A SHORT BREATH PROBLEM FOR THE PAST 2 MONTHS. NO BLOOD SUGAR, NO PRESSURE, NO THYROID PROBLEM, NO ANEMIA PROBLEM. I AM ALSO HAVING PAIN IN ANKLE. BOTH STARTED IN SAME TIME. I HAVE BEEN EXAMINED BY CARDIOLOGIST, PULMONOLOGIST AND NEUROLOGIST. ALL DOCTORS CHECKED AND SAID NO PROBLEM. BUT I AM NOT ABLE BREATH NORMALLY. I AM NOT ABLE TO WALK, SPEAK DUE TO THIS. KINDLY SUGGEST ME.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
looks stress as all other causes are ruled out

Detailed Answer:

Its good that you already had the opinion of relevant specialist and ruled out major organic causes. This thing is most likely due to stress.
You havent mentioned any stressful factor in your life which has a time correlation with this shortness of breath (apart from ankle pain). But I would sincerely request you to look out for any event which happened near the starting of this( apart from ankle pain).
If you are stressed about ankle pain- like, if it is very troublesome and limits your movements: then this can be one of the reason for stress. Stress in any form can cause variety of symptoms- like breathing problems, weakness, feeling fatigued all time, sleeping problems etc.
Please donot worry as there is no major issue in your actual breathing mechanism -otherwise you would not have been able to sleep at all in night...

You can try jogging or relaxation exercises to calm your nerves- this is immensely helpful apart from medicines.

However, if you feel you cant focus or dont have strength to gofor exercise right now, we can proceed with medicine treatment and later move to relaxation.

It will be wise to get serum B12 levels- as its deficiency can lead to pain in ankles and also psychological stress.

Wish you good luck. Hope the reply is helpful.
please feel free to ask more questions for clarification.

Dr. Manisha Gopal
MD neuropsychiatry

Follow up: Dr. Manisha Gopal 23 hours later
Dear sir,

I am having neurobion with b12 tablet for the past 1 month. But there is no improvement. Also i would like to inform you that I do not have stress and strain. I am able to feel my heart pumping action. I have checked the hemoglobin and the level is 13.5. Kindly suggest what to check further and also suggest any medicine name for b12.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
get TSH levels, start sertraline or paroxetine

Detailed Answer:

1. If you are taking B12 from past one month and the tablets have 1000-1500mcg of cynocobalamin in it, then I think you can make it alternate days for another month and stop the regimn.
Atlest B 12 deficiency is ruled out now.

2. If you dont have any recognizable stressor then it can be denovo origin..

. Feeling or hearing your heart beats is called- palpitation; a common part of anxiety. The drugs which are used in anxiety cure all such symptoms.

3. Its not that all patients of anxiety will have B12 deficiency but if it is there then treating it simultaneously with other medicines help a lot.

4. If you want you may try taking sertraline 25-50mg after breakfast. This is good for managing anxiety. Other option can be paroxetine 12.5-37.5mg.
For sleep you can take zolpidem for a week or so and later discontinue it.

I think the reply is helpful; please feel free to ask more questions for clarification.

P.S. you should also get TSH, T3, T4 levels done on empty stomach.

Dr. Manisha Gopal
MD Neuropsychiatry