Suggest treatment for shortness of breath while suffering from venous insufficiency
Different options are available to you.
Weight loss would definitely help improve the shortness of breath and would also help blood pressure and sugar control along with the venous disease.
Though diet changes and exercise would be a very important part of weight loss, medications, and likely surgery would be needed for any significant change to occur.
There are different types of weight loss surgery, gastric bypass is one of them. Some of the other types are the gastric band, sleeve gastrectomy.
(1) In gastric bypass- the stomach is made smaller and the part of the intestine is rerouted- one part to the smaller stomach and the other part to a lower aspect of the intestine.
Gastric bypass is the gold standard of these types of procedures, this means it is considered the best one of the weight loss surgeries.
While it works really well (60 to 80% weight loss), complications can occur. Vitamin and mineral replacement is needed to prevent deficiencies.
(2) Sleeve gastrectomy involves removing a large portion of the stomach and reattaching the remainder. It can be as effective for weight loss.
It can also cause vitamin and mineral deficiencies if replacements are not used but have fewer complications than bypass.
(3) Gastric band- an adjustable band is placed around the stomach to reduce its size. It can be associated with 40 to 50% weight loss though it is slower.
It is understandable to be worried about any surgical procedure. It would be best to discuss your options with the surgeon who would likely be performing the procedure. Gastric sleeve is also successful and has fewer complications but all should be reviewed.
I hope this helps.
Dr. Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment and cure for Chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency
- Treatment and cure for Venous insufficiency ulceration
- Headache venous insufficiency
- Suggest medication for venous insufficiency
- Treatment and cure for early venous insufficiency
- Treatment and cure for leg venous insufficiency
- Treatment and cure for chronic venous insufficiency
- Venous insufficiency and mottled skin
- Venous insufficiency skin discoloration
- Treatment and cure for venous insufficiency