Suggest treatment for shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness and chest pain

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Mon, 9 Feb 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My brother is currently living in a halfway house in XXXXXXX pa as a condition of his probation. he has been complaining to myself and our mother for two months about various medical issues such as shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, chest pain, and difficulty concentrating. He also stated that his circadian rhythm has been disrupted. The facility he is housed in is a hotbed of activity with apropos of various illicit substances. One substance in particular is a major cause of concern for us all. A new drug known as kay two is being smoked constantly throughout the common areas, bedrooms, and bathrooms. He is being exposed to large amounts of second hand smoke on a daily basis. His symptoms did not begin to manifest themselves until he was placed in this facility and it is our shared opinion that the second hand smoke is making him ill. He has tried several times to be relocated and has reported the problem to staff numerous times to no avail. I have been doing research into these chemicals and have come to learn that exposure to even small amounts of this substance can cause significant health issues. We are trying to get my brother moved to a healthier environment but staff at the facility refuse to admit there is a problem. Recently after several residents began to threaten lawsuits against the facility for creating a hostile envvironment, staff began giving the residents that complained (as well as others they suspected of using and smuggling drugs into the facility) urine tests for synthetic cannabinoids. My brother was given four urine screens in a seven day period.

After the testing, he complained to our mother that he feels like he is being setup by a cold bureaucracy intent on protecting the profitability of their facility by causing residents that are trying to stand up for their basic human rights to end up back in jail where they will be unable to cause any further issues with the facility. Needless to say he tested positive for that garbage and he is absolutely livid with anger over the situation. So much in fact that he is considering filing a tort claim against the facility for professional negligence.

My brother asked me to contact a doctor that will attest to the fact that

1 due to the relative newness of these chemicals, it is unknown what impact repeat second hand exposure can cause. A false positive from repeat exposure to second hand smoke was confirmed by NMS Lab's Forensic dept as being an absolute possibility!

2 it is unknown what medications can cause false positives due to cross reactivity

3 repeat exposure to these toxic fumes can be detrimental to his health.

My brother swears he is not smoking this junk and I believe him. He has a prior history of opiate addiction but is making great progress towards a total recovery. It is unfair to him to be forced to remain in an environment that is so hostile to his health and wellness.

I would like you to email me a document that attests to the facts I have previously stated so I may fax it into the facility and hopefully get my brother out of that awful place.

Sincerely,
XXXX
Ps please include name praactice location years in medicine and a phone number if vverfication of credentials is needed. Also please add YYYY@YYYY to the reply email in case he has any questions. We are both poor college students and this service is a godsend for us! Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
The issue is serious and needs legal and medical help

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for your brother and the abuse he is going through.

K2 also known as spice contains synthetic cannabinoids and it has been known to cause the following symptoms.

rapid heart rate, vomiting, agitation, confusion, and hallucinations, elevated blood pressure and reduced blood supply to the heart (myocardial ischemia), and in a few cases it has been associated with heart attacks.

So the risk is real, and second hand smoke does have residual synthetic THC, the complete list of side effects of this are still not well known.

You have a legitimate concern for your brother's health and you will have to act fast.

Please consult your legal counselor and approach the court with the information provided in this link http://www.drugabuse.gov/YYYY/YYYY/spice-YYYY-marijuana

I can provide you the details of medical professionals dealing with such cases if you need them, however, I think the information contained in the link should be more than sufficient to convince any court of law.

Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Kind regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 9 hours later
The issue is we cannot find any non-anecdotal evidence that stipulates that these substances are too new for adequate information about second hand absorption to be found. We would need a link to an academic white paper OR preferably a signed document or digital equivalent thereof to fax into this facility. My brother is a good person and his health is being jeopardized by the negligence of this facility. Our mother is so worried we are concerned she may have another brain aneurysm from the stress. If needed we can pay another 18 to have that document written. If we go the tort route we will gladly renumerate you with additional funds for your expert opinion Doctor.

Sincerely, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can cite these articles.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

For the time being I am providing you with two links for articles which you can download.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/YYYY/PMC0000/

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/YYYY.htm

You can read through these as well and see if it helps.

http://www.healio.com/pediatrics/journals/pedann/2013-1-42-1/YYYY/organic-and-synthetic-cannabinoid-use-in-adolescents

http://learnaboutmarijuanawa.org/Reports/Marijuana_YYYY2014.pdf

I hope these will help you.

I will get back to you with more information as soon as I get some time to do that.

Please just leave a comment below the answer so that I can post the updates.

Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 12 hours later
Thanks Doctorm We also found https://www.aacc.org/publications/YYYY/cannabinoids which has proven an invvaluable resource for establishing there are no standards for testing these substances.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Here are some more articles

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

This one is of particular importance as it addresses your question

http://www.healio.com/pediatrics/journals/pedann/YYYY/organic-and-synthetic-cannabinoid-use-in-adolescents.pdf

And this following one discusses the whole pharmacokinetics, which may or may not add value to the above article

I hope I have been of some use to you.

Wishing you all good health.