Suggest treatment for shortness of breath, cough and heart palpitations

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi I'm 20 years old and a male, and I've had shortness of breath for s couple days buts it's mild. Also I've had a cough here and there and feels like it's like a cold in my chest that type of feeling and now my heart feels like it's beating fast for no reason even with just the slightest exertion and in freaking out .help!
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms related to cold/lung issues,not to heart.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your medical problems and can say that your symptoms are due to:
- common cold
- possible pulmonary complications from cold

I do not see any heart problem.
Your heart is beating fast because of:
- lung problems and cold you are going through
- being stressed/anxious/worried about what's going on with you.

If you were my patient I would recommend to do the following examinations to find out what is causing your symptoms:
- Blood work
- Chest x ray
- ECG
- Cardiac echo

Meantime I would like to advise you to :
- take cold medications you find over the counter
- have more tea
- take more rest
- take vit.C to improve your immunity
- take 1 teaspoon of honey and olive oil in the morning
- otc pain-killers can also help

If your symptoms persists for more than a week or they become worse over that time you should go to ER or contact your GP doctor.

Hope this was of help!
Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Benard
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 44 minutes later
Could the pulmonary complications from the cold and the lung issues be serious? I dont have chest pain by the way
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
in few cases the symptoms may worsen and you should go to ER...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

In most cases the pulmonary complications aren't serious. However in few cases the symptoms may worsen and you should go to ER to exclude any life threatening situation.

Wish you a fast recovery!
Dr. shehu
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist