Suggest treatment for shortness of breath and tachycardia

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have had shortness of breath and tachicardia since yesterday, yesterday my left arm was a bit numb, I am out of my country of residence, where my primary health care is, is there anything I can take to get proper care when I get home?. I have been very healthy, do not take any medicines, I exercise and eat healthy, but here I have been out of my diet and have taken lots of animal products.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I would explain that it is important performing a comprehensive differential diagnosis between different causes that may lead to this clinical scenario:

- coronary artery disease
- anxiety
- gastro-esophageal reflux (although it does not explain the numbness in your left arm).

Coming to this point, I recommend going to the ER if the problem repeats and performing some tests:

- a resting ECG and cardiac enzymes
- a chest X ray study
- some blood lab tests (complete blood count, PCR, sedimentation rate, blood electrolytes, kidney and liver function tests).

A cardiac stress test may be needed if suspicions of coronary artery disease are raised.

Meanwhile, I would recommend reducing salt and caffeine intake and also have a balanced diet.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 28 minutes later
I am on a trip now in a foreign country, living a somehow stressful situation, had to spend a $1000 CA yesterday at the ER that might not be refunded by my insurance company. Can I take any over the counter medicine that can help until going back home?. Aspirin?the ER visit yesterday was for a headache that had lasted a month, got CT scan, blood test and x rays of my head and all was well, however that stressed me a lot.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Yes, Aspirin 75mg can help in this situation.

Besides, as anxiety seems to play an important role in all this clinical scenario (considering your normal CT scan and blood test results), I would recommend taking some anxiolytics which contain valeriana extract.

They can help you relieve anxiety and also feel better.

Another drug to consider would be an antiacid. As you have eaten different food, indigestion may contribute in your symptoms. An antiacid could also be useful.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri