Suggest treatment for shortness of breath and bowel incontinence

Dr. BR Hudda

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I am a ninety year old XXXXXXX XXXXXXX My medical problems are shortness of breath,
which I was able
to control with my albuterol inhaler, a buildup of plaque in my arteries and some loss of
control of my bowels and my urinary functions I was in excellent
health until my body began
to fail me last month. At that time I lost control of urinary functions, my inhaler stopped
working for me and my shortness has weakened me the point where I do not want to leave
the house.

me

I lost control
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
shortness of breath at your age warrants detailed evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I had gone through your question very diligently and I really appreciate your concern
Shortness of breath which is not responding to albuterol inhaler warrants detailed evaluation to find out underlying cause which could be a heart disease or lung disease

Loss of urinary control might be related to infection or neurological disorder of the bladder
Since you are 90 years old and shortness of breath is a matter of worry so I would advise you to visit nearest emergency room for recording of pulse, blood pressure, oxygen saturation of the blood and an EKG and PFT( pulmonary function test) to establish a diagnosis.

Here I would like to know since how long are you using Albuterol inhaler and if you are taking any other drugs?
Please upload me all the relevant reports if you have with me.

Please write back to me with these details so that I will be able to tell you more accurately
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D