Suggest treatment for shooting pain and soreness near the breast bone

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: 54 year old white male. 5' 10" 172 pounds My right breast is sore to the touch for 10-days. It does not hurt if I apply pressure or rub it. it is painful to touch it lightly whereas my hand touches mostly hair. When i am not touching my right breast it does have shooting momentary pain occasionally. no rash, swelling, lumps bumps. any ideas?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sensory Nerve involvement.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Male/54 - right breast sore to touch - 10 days - no rash, swelling, lumps or bumps - not tender - painful to light touch like touching mostly hair - shooting momentary pain occasionally even when not touching it..

Such a pain on its own or on light touching only indicates that the cause if neurological. The probable causes can be:
- Herpetic: please look for the rash again; if no rash it would have been a mild attack and the rash might not have occurred.
- Compression of the sensory nerve supplying the painful area anywhere during its course or at the spinal level.

I would advise you the following:
Get a clinical evaluation and examination done by a Doctor.
Investigations like MRI of the thoracic spine if warranted by your Doctor- please discuss these points with your Doctor.
Get a proper treatment as per the cause thus found.

I hope this answer helps you to get an early diagnosis and a plan of treatment.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.