Suggest treatment for shooting pain along spine

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Back Pain
Question: My wife is having shooting pain to the left of her spine about 12 inches up and down. Hurts more when she takes a deep breath. 4th time this has happened in the past 6 months and this is the worst, it actually woke her up out of her sleep!! just applied a heating pad and it seems to be subsiding a little.

the pain subsided and now came back worse again

Never received an answer yet!!!!!!
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pleurisy and vertebral column diseases should be considered.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

In my opinion, two are the conditions that are most likely causes that need to be considered in your wife's case:

1. Pleurisy ( or inflammation of lungs coverings )

2. Vertebral column disorders such herniated disc disease, bone lesions such osteoma etc.

Local application of heat and NSAID drugs such Ibuprofen should help improve the pain.

Imaging studies are of paramount importance in this case ( x-rays, CT scan of the affected portion of vertebral column and lungs and probably MRI of vertebral column.

There's need to discuss with your wife's primary care Doctor, because he can prescribe the drugs needed to improve symptoms and can order the needed imaging tests.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak