• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for shingles

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have symptoms of having shingles. I have pain on the left side of my head when touched. There are blisters forming on my scalp. I have had a headache for four days now. My concern is my left eye. The eyelid is swollen and red, and very uncomfortable. What can I do to treat the eye discomfort?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

First, quickly get yourself to an urgent care clinic or ER where they can look at your scalp and start you on an antiviral medication (Acyclovir or Valcyclovir). This is very important that you get on an antiviral ASAP as research shows it decreases the risk of post-herpetic neuralgia from shingles, and complications.

Even more concerning though is the involvement of the eye. Actually, skip the urgent care and go now to the ER of a major hospital near you. There they can call in an ophthalmologist. Shingles involvement of the eye can be serious and lead to impairments in vision. So it's important to get an ophthalmologist on this. They can examine to see if there is damage happening. They may give you medication to treat the nerve pain such as gabapentin (Neurontin).

Shingles comes out in one dermatome, which is an area of skin innervated by one nerve or nerve group, and what you have described - blisters, one sided, and in one region, are consistent for shingles.

Time is of the essence here, so please go in now.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3136 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Antiviral medication

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor, May I asked how Long does it take for a Herpes lension to go away after a patient took the Oral anti viral medication with cream. How to...

doctor1 MD

Hi I.am XXXXXXX , My friend has something that looks like blisters but they are not she can't even touch anything because it really hurts, can you...

doctor1 MD

I've had this itchy painful rash this week is three_four weeks. I've tried everything from oat meal baths, antifungal cream. nothing helps. I take...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I had a dog bite me right below my lower lip and the dogs tooth went all the way through my mouth. The doctor did not suture it, and I clean...

doctor1 MD

Hi, About 3-4 days ago i had a tiny rash in the middle of my back towards the right. At the time it wasn t painful but now it is very sore and...

doctor1 MD

i was diagnosed with hepatitis b a month ago and was giving some drugs like liv 52,reducydyne and lamivir 150g containing 60 tablets which i have...

doctor1 MD

i am suffering from mouth ulcer for more than 10 yrs.there are more than 15 ulcer spots in my mouth. I have talked to several doctors about the...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

195 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh
  • Q - Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain

  • Q - What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose

  • Q - What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?

  • Q - What causes pain near the navel area?

  • Q - What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?

  • Q - Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation

  • Q - Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle

  • Q - Suggest medication for ADHD

  • Q - Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis