• question-icon

Suggest treatment for shingles

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have symptoms of having shingles. I have pain on the left side of my head when touched. There are blisters forming on my scalp. I have had a headache for four days now. My concern is my left eye. The eyelid is swollen and red, and very uncomfortable. What can I do to treat the eye discomfort?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Shingles

Detailed Answer:

First, quickly get yourself to an urgent care clinic or ER where they can look at your scalp and start you on an antiviral medication (Acyclovir or Valcyclovir). This is very important that you get on an antiviral ASAP as research shows it decreases the risk of post-herpetic neuralgia from shingles, and complications.

Even more concerning though is the involvement of the eye. Actually, skip the urgent care and go now to the ER of a major hospital near you. There they can call in an ophthalmologist. Shingles involvement of the eye can be serious and lead to impairments in vision. So it's important to get an ophthalmologist on this. They can examine to see if there is damage happening. They may give you medication to treat the nerve pain such as gabapentin (Neurontin).

Shingles comes out in one dermatome, which is an area of skin innervated by one nerve or nerve group, and what you have described - blisters, one sided, and in one region, are consistent for shingles.

Time is of the essence here, so please go in now.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh