Suggest treatment for shingles

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 17 Feb 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: MY HUSBAND HAS SHINGLES ON HIS NECK AND WE NEED TO KNOW WHAT WE CAN BUY OVER THE COUNTER TO TREAT THE PAIN AND ITCH
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tab Cetirizine or chlorpheniramine maleate, tab Ibuprofen or Paracetamol

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic ,

For itching your husband can take tablet Cetirizine 10 mg or tablet Chlorpheniramine maleate 4 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching.

For pain he can take tablet Ibuprofen (400mg twice daily after food)or Paracetamol(650mg thrice daily after food).
These should be available as over the counter.

But for shingles it is very important to take Antivirals like tablet Valciclovir but it is a prescription based drug and you need to consult a doctor to get it.

Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee