Suggest treatment for shingles

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Thu, 12 May 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Is this shingles? Also if it is would i be itching all over my body to? And how do i treat it?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Looks like Herpes Zoster but may be a contact dermatitis too

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HCM to post your question.
I saw carefully your picture.

yes, It looks like shingles- Herpes Zoster. Does it hurt/burn except itching? Have you had it before in that part of the body?

It won't itch all over your body, it itches only in the area that it appears.
And the way it should be treated is to use an antiviral cream the first 48 hours you see the vesicles, because if it has been more then that then nothing would work on it, and it will heal by itself in about 2 weeks. I would not recommend oral meds in your age. You will need a prescription for the cream.

What I want to rule out though is if your skin is sensitive, or if you have touched any particular substance in that area that might cause an allergic reaction. If it doesn't burn but only itches, then it is contact dermatitis. In that care we cant use the cream that is used for shingles.

Keep it dry!
Take antihistamine meds that will help against itch like Benadryl.

I hope I answered your question.
Let me know if you need more clarifications. Otherwise please close and rate the answer.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 days later
It doesnt hurt at all and no ive never had it before. I am still itching and in a rash all over. I do have sensitive skin but not really sensative and cant think of anything that i have used over the last few weeks to cause it. Is it more likely to be contact dermatitus and if so what kind of creams can i use? Amd would you advise having an allergy test? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cream suggested

Detailed Answer:
Hello again dear,

If you are not hurting, just itching, then most probably it is contact dermatitis or some kind of allergy.

From your answer I am not sure if the rash is only in the area that you send picture, or it is all over your body.
If it is all over your body then you will need to take oral medications, and see your local doctor.
If it is only in that area and has not spread, then you can use a steroid cream like Hydrocortisone 1% or other steroid creams that you can find over the counter in local pharmacy. Use it in a thin layer and 1-2 times/day.

I repeat because it is important, you should not use the cream if it has burning sensation in the lesion and if it has spread all over the body.

Update me with new info if you like.
Hope this is helpful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad