• question-icon

Suggest treatment for shingles while on Valtrex

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Infections
Question: Had first, small outbreak of shingles in October 2016. Started Valtrex within 72 hours. I recognized an outbreak today, but think it's been more than 72 hours since it first appeared. I have a refill remaining, should I start Valtrex in the morning?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

If you are noting early signs of shingles it would be reasonable for you to consider starting Valtrex even though it might be outside of 72 hours before first noticing symptoms.

However, before starting any prescription medication you should contact your primary care physician to obtain final recommendations regarding taking an oral prescription.

please contact your doctor or the on call physician covering for him for for definitive recommendations.

Sincerely,

Dr Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist