Suggest treatment for shingles while on Gabapentin

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was prescribed GABAPENTIN 4 days prior to leaving Florida, heading to Thailand. I started the new medicine with no apparent side effects until I landed in Thailand.the first day there my B.M. was black and tarry, like wood shingles all over the surface. Checking side effects that was listed, so I stopped immediately and I continued having black tarrry stools for the next two days, although the last day the stool changed closes to a grey and tarry. This was last September and I just returned to the states and am trying to get a appointment, however there is a waiting list. Now, could it be the long flights that causes this? Or something else. I take approximately 20 other drugs and I always clear it by the DR and Pharmacy.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs work up and management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. With 20 meds intake in history, i am sure some of them might be causing this stool color change, however my concern would be to rule out any worrisome cause behind these black tarry stools like blood in GI tract from an ulcer or any other bleeder. Stool occult blood test can help to confirm. Apart from it many benign conditions like iron and folate supplementation, dietary triggers can lead to stool color variation. Needs complete work up and management to sort it out accordingly.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan