Suggest treatment for shingles infection

Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: how can I reduce the duration of shingles - the answer to this started to show up on your site then disappeared. I have it on my elbow and the nerve pain drives from my shoulder to my fingers. The sores are dry and no new ones present themselves but the pain persists and is most severe at night.
I am on my second dose of an anti-viral med

Are there foods I should avoid?
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Herpes zoster

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM...

As you said you suffer from shingles..also called herpes zoster. It is a viral infection caused by VZV virus. As there is infection in nerve, you get severe burning pain. For the perfect treatment you consult the dermatologist.

For fast recovery,you may follow as below...

- antiviral like valacyclovir 500mg thrice a day for few weeks
- steroids in tapering dose
- analgesic like ketorolac tablets
- apply silver sulfadiazine cream on the lesions

I hope this would help you...

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later
Please answer my question regarding food, Are there foods I should avoid that could make the condition worse?
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diet restriction has no role in Herpes Zoster

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your concern. But, I assure you that food elemination has no role in curing the herpes zoster.

Take food as you like. No food article should be avoided....ok

Hope this must have satisfied you.

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana