• question-icon

Suggest treatment for shingles in the leg

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: If you have shingles in your leg, should you stay off of your feet? Does shingles make your leg muscles week?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stay mobilised, no need for beig off the feet. Muscle weakness transient

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Shingles is a benign condition and self resolves in a couple of days and can be prescribed antivirals for quick recovery, if the pain is not a hurdle to walk, no need to stay off the feet, however resting compared to usual days is fine. Leg muscles may feel lethargic and weak but that is a transient phenomenon and with resolution of the illness, which may take a week or two, every thing gets back to normal. Continue with the painkillers you are prescribed with and wait and observe.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 6 hours later
My leg weakness is at the knee which has a replacement. The replacement just buckles downward and I fall. It is very painful and has only started with the shingles.
Do you recommend that I see an orthopedic surgeon regarding the knee replacement prosthesis?
My leg weakness is at the knee which has a replacement. The replacement prosthesis just buckles downward and I fall. This behavior started upon getting the shingles. Do you recommend that I see an orthopedic surgeon regarding the prosthesis?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes get evaluated for knee prosthesis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

With knee prosthesis and replacement history mentioned, this weakness and discomfort in knee area is secondary to this local prosthetic and articular degenerative changes and shingles may be secondarily associated but primary effect is likely due to this knee replacement and prosthetics. I would for sure recommend visit to an orthopaedic surgeon and let them have a look.

I hope it helps.
Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan