Suggest treatment for shingles in an elderly person

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My mom is 82 yrs old she has had chicken poxs early in life then she has 2 x shingles and now she has had for 6 months these red welts with small white heads that are painful n etch travel through out her body. We have had two doc say shingles n hives but they don't go away with sterols, or medicine for infections, she is embarrassed n miserable. What do u think?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload an image for review!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for contacting us.

I am so sorry to hear about what your mom is going through with the skin rash. I suggest that you upload an image for review. Without seeing what this rash actually looks like, it will be almost impossible to provide a personalized and helpful response to you.

To upload an image, simply click on the link to upload a file and follow the instructions. If this proves difficult, please send the image by mail to YYYY@YYYY and request that the image should be uploaded to your query.

I do promise to get back to you with more insights and helpful recommendations as soon as the requested information gets here.

Waiting...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
This doesn’t look like shingles to me!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed the attached image. While it doesn’t look like shingles to me, it is difficult to tell what the exact infection is. For now, am leaning more towards the possibility of a bacterial infection. For treatment, I will suggest regular cleansing with and antiseptic lotion such as Betadine. She may always want to bath with an antiseptic lotion (dettol). This way, all possible germs would be killed before they go on to cause an infection.

Antibiotics seem not exactly needed at this time. This because the spots do not look as requiring antibiotics for healing. Rather, germs from the spot spread to other areas to propagate the infection. Keep them under check by regular use of antiseptics might prove helpful.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Please let me know whether this is actually helping her that much or not!

Kind regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee