Suggest treatment for shingles in a diabetic

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi I am a 65 year old women with Type ! diabetes . I had Shingles approx. 10 years ago. Now I have this extreme itching on my scalp and have been told it was psoriasis I have no flaking or anything like that but sometimes it gets so intense it literally drives me nuts can you think of what could be causing this problem I would love to have some relief from this . Thank You
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Peripheral neuropathy

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Psoriasis presents with flaking.
Only itch might be due to peripheral neuropathy which happens in diabetes.
I treat such cases with tablet methylcobalamine 1500 micro gram to be taken daily after breakfast for a month.
Apply a mild steroid lotion like desonide daily in night for a week.
If itch persists you can take an antihistamine tablet like cetrizine for a week.
Hope this helps you.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj