Suggest treatment for shingles around mouth

Question
I had shingles around my mouth about a month ago.Then I had to have a bx. on a lesion on the inner lower lip about two weeks ago. I started having a burning and severe pain and has gotten worse each day. I have been unable to check for fever but I feel like I do have it.Your help would be greatly appreciated.At least to know which way to go
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Post herpetic neuralgia

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I have read your query and understood your concern.

It seems that you have been suffering from a condition called post herpetic neuralgia. It is a condition characterized by numbness or pain along the distribution of the nerve of the area affected by shingles.With postherpetic neuralgia, a complication of herpes zoster, pain may persist well after resolution of the rash.
It is usually a self limiting condition. But in some, treatment is required for symptomatic relief.

For this, carbamazepine is a drug of choice. Other various oral drugs helpful in this are amitriptyline , phenytoin, pregabelin, gabapentin. various topical creams like lidocaine, capsaicin are also advised.

But cause for recurrence of shingles should be evaluated. For this, i would like to know following details:
1) What about your diabetic status?
2) History of any illness or chronic disease associated with episode of shingles?
3) Any history of mediication for another disease?

Kindly get back to me with reply of above questions.

Wish you a good health.