Suggest treatment for shingles and numbness in leg and ankle
Five days after medication stopped, another breakout, this time more severe and starting to get the numbness in my leg,ankle and right foot. I was put on Gabapentin 300mg tid. No change in discomfort and not able to tolerate this medication. Anew dose of 100mg tid was given to me today.
My concern is the possible nerve damage to my foot and ankle. I am not able to get an appointment with a neurologist until July 8. Can this be something permanent and can it get worse. Unable to get any answers from myNP.
Thanks for you help
Is is due to nerve invovement by shingles
Welcome to HCM.
I have read your query and understood your concern.
It seems that you have been suffering from a condition called post herpetic neuralgia. It is a condition characterized by numbness or pain along the distribution of the nerve of the area affected by shingles.With postherpetic neuralgia, a complication of herpes zoster, pain may persist well after resolution of the rash.
It is usually a self limiting condition. But in some, treatment is required for symptomatic relief.
For this, carbamazepine is a drug of choice. Other various oral drugs helpful in this are amitriptyline , phenytoin, pregabelin, gabapentin. various topical creams like lidocaine, capsaicin are also advised.
But cause for recurrence of shingles should be evaluated. For this, i would like to know following details:
1) What about your diabetic status?
2) History of any illness or chronic disease associated with episode of shingles?
3) Any history of mediication for another disease?
Kindly get back to me with reply of above questions.
You may discuss my opinion with your treating doctor. I am sure he/she will agree with this.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for frozen ankles and numbness in knees
- Suggest treatment for recurring shingles
- Suggest treatment for shingles in my eye
- Numbness associated with shingles
- What treatment is suggested for shingles
- Suggest treatment for numb leg back pain and constipation
- Shingles and dental treatment
- Suggest treatment for swellingpainful hard spots and numbness in legs
- Will shingles numbness go away
- Treatment and cure for leg numbness