question-icon

Suggest treatment for sharp spasms in my back around the kidney area

Posted on Wed, 12 May 2021
Question: I'm having sharp spasms in my back. Around the kidney area. Discomfort going from that area around my side and down toward pelvic area. Also, slight pain down the front side of my left leg. Pain in back area is excruciating when the spasm hits. It takes my breath away. All this started yesterday morning. I'm a 56 year old female that is healthy has a horse except for allergies. The only meds I take are over the counter allergy pills. Any idea of what may be going on?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
I think I can help you.
With your symptoms, there are 2 possibilities that come to my mind.
1.     Renal calculi.
2.     Lumbar radiculopathy.
In both these conditions, one has the distribution of pain as you said- back to pelvis to thigh. Since this has started suddenly yesterday, the possibility of renal calculi is higher. If you have had backache before, the possibility of lumbar radiculopathy cannot be ruled out.

You will need to meet your doctor there and go for an ultrasound of the abdomen or MRI of the lumbar spine.

Meanwhile take plenty of fluids and simple painkillers like tramadol.

I have tried to make it as simple as possible.
Feel free to contact me for further information.
Dr Mittal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist