Suggest treatment for sharp pain in the shoulder

Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello, I just got my arm extended at a grappling tournament.. I have a sharp pain in my shoulder, my bicep is bruised and sometimes having spasms in my shoulder and bicep when i move. also the connecting area between my bicep and shoulder is swollen/sticking out a little. had trouble rotating in the front and back. medic at the tournament said it could be a strained muscle or a dislocation that popped back in but its gotten better but still having pain moving such as turning the steering wheel or taking off a shirt. i fear some kind of tear.

so i sent this and got the answer its a strain and just to heal and rest,

so for 2 weeks i did nothing like directed and tried a little grappling today and now i have a ton or sore pain and have a big lump in my armpit near my bicep, all the bruising as since gone, but my arm feels really tight
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 1 hour later
Brief Answer :
Ice it for the first 48 hours and gently massage it with topical gels a slab or even an arm sling my help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi i am Dr Ahmed Aly
thanks for using HealthcareMagic site ,
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

I think you need to ice it for the first 48 hours , gentle massaging with topical gels twice a day , avoid further manipulations and let it rest again , try not to overuse or exert on it again till it heal completely for prevention of further complications and lumps .
You may use tylenol tabs as a pain killer when needed , anti edematous drugs like alphintern tabs 2 or 3 times prior to your meals will help decreasing the size of your lump with some slabbing and elevation .
Try to make sure this lump was due to your exercises and not any other reason , so if it persists i recommend visiting your physician for proper evaluation and management .

Please click and consider a 5 star rating with some positive feedback if the information was helpful. Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy