Suggest treatment for sharp pain in the shoulder

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi,
I slipped on the top step yesterday morning and fell on my back on the steps. It knocked the wind out of me. I banged my head and got a large bump. About 3" in diameter. The swelling has gone down as I expected.
My concern is my left side under my shoulder blade is swallen. It really hurts to pick anything up on that side and getting up or down is also accompanied by a sharp pain. If I take a deep breath I feel it and if I push on that side of my chest it hurts.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Soft tissue injury likely.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in the shoulder is likely to be due to a soft tissue injury due to the fall. You need to take rest and start doing hot compress after 48 hours. Take a mild pain killer and apply a local analgesic gel. Avoid all painful movements. If all these measures help in reducing pain then it is not likely to be due to any major issue. Otherwise consult an orthopedician for a direct examination and X-rays/ MRI scan if needed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal