Suggest treatment for sharp pain in the groin area

Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi I am a 40 year old female this morning I experienced a sharp cramp like pain on my left groin area shooting down my upper thigh it lasted for a minute or two I am currently in the middle of my period but had also irritated the area two days prior I stood up quickly and turned abruptly to chase a child at work and felt a bit of a pull in the area my question is this pain muscular or somehow related to my menstral cycle
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscular pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings
Very rare to have a menustrual pain radiating to mid thigh at this age for first time.
If you had endometriosis earlier this could have happened.Not now.
I feel it could be muscular ,and can try hot fomentation, ointments or paracetamol for 2 days.If it repeats need a check up.
If you never had a gynaec check up since 1 year ,it is better to go for it now.
Hope my answer helps you. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 2 hours later
Thanks for your timely response I have a gyn appointment scheduled for October is gyn pain usually short lived happening for a few seconds and should I be overly concerned and push up my appointment my dr is on leave until October and I would prefer to be seen by her
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Muscular pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings
You can try with muscle relaxing ointments and the OTC Paracetamol for 3 to 4 days.
If it is aggravating, then better to consult early. I don't think it is gynaec related.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee