Suggest treatment for sharp pain in the chest area and irregular hearbeats

Dr. Meriton Siqeca

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: feels like pins in my chest sharp pains feels like when your hand goes to sleep in my chest at times are these heartattack signs i worry a lot I have anxiety and Gerd I've had a ekg chest xray and blood work done all came back perfect been having feeling of irregular heartbeats also been going on for about a week are so
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anxiety, panic attacks

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM, and thank you for your question. I understand your concern.

The symptoms you described, combined with your young age of only 29 years old, and the normal cardiac tests, exclude the heart as origin of your problems. These are not signs of a heart attack.

These are more signs of a panic attack, including the sharp pain situated in one area of the chest, also the "skipped heart beats". What happens? During panic attacks, one always asks questions like "what is wrong with me?" "will something terrible happen to me?", "am I going to die?". These thoughts trigger a flush of adrenalin in the system which produces all signs of literal fear, like rushing heart rate, choking, pain in a certain area of the body et cetera. Therefore, if these symptoms are affecting your quality of life or work, I would recommend you to see a clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist, and benzodiazepines should be prescribed as a short-term treatment.

I hope this is helpful to you. I am happy to help, if yoi have follow-up questions.

Kind regards,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D