Suggest treatment for sharp pain in the back and nausea

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Back Pain
Question: Hello:
I have been experiencing very sharp pain in my back in the general area of my hip/pelvic area that seems to be getting worse over the past 3 weeks. When I first get up in the morning, I am fine for about 15 minutes; but when the pain starts it doesn't go away...in fact, it moves from one hip area to the other. Also, once it starts I can't hardly standup. If I am cooking, I have to keep shifting my weight. Also, lately (last couple of days) I am experiencing nausea.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can eb due to various causes.

Detailed Answer:
The reasons for joint and muscle pains at your age commonly are:
1. Rheumatoid arthritis-
2. Gout
3. Vitamin B12 defi
4. Vitamin D defi
5. Calcium deficiency
6. Osteoporosis.
Ideal person to consult for this is orthopedic surgeon or rheumatologist.

Please discuss this with your family doctor and ask for a proper referral.

Most of the cases respond satisfactorily to the treatment.

After examination the doctor may advise some investigations like

RA Test
S.Uric Acid
Vit D level
B12 Level
Blood counts
blood sugar
X ray as per need

In mean time, this should help.

1. Do take more of fruits, vegetables soups etc.
2. Maintain healthy routine, keep walking till you have pain, and just stop before pain starts
3. Apply some analgesic oint over the site of pain
4. Milk and milk products are good source of calcium

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal