Suggest treatment for sharp pain in the abdomen

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Wed, 1 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: My period came on 1/2/17 went off 1/11/17 came back on 1/20/17 went off 1/27/17 started spotting 2/2/17 . The spotting is always extremely dark but a few minutes ago it became dark with small clots. I have been have some sharp pains but it feels like quick stabbing and going away. What is going on?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Irregular shedding.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to HCM,
this is hormonal imbalance with irregular shedding that you are experiencing if pregnancy test has already been done and it has been ruled out. This usually happen due to decreased estrogenisation of endometrium and then during mid cycle decreased progesterone levels can cause early withdrawal bleed. Often sometimes seen in cases of early onset menopause or premature ovarian failure. You are hence advised to get a hormonal profile done with FSH, LH, AMH, SERUM ESTRADIOL AND SERUM PROGESTERONE LEVELS done to reach a diagnosis.
If the FSH AND LH levels are normal then you would have to be placed on combined oral contraceptive pills for at least 3 cycles to establish hormonal balance again.
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 4 minutes later
I have not taken a pregnancy test should I to make sure?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes , you should.

Detailed Answer:
It is advisable to rule out pregnancy anyhow first to establish other possible causes.