question-icon

Suggest treatment for sharp pain in hip while resting

Posted on Tue, 24 Nov 2015
Question: Hello my name is XXXXXXX I have been having sharp pain in my hip when im at rest and when im trying to sleep. And the pain goes down the front of my thigh. It is very hard to walk. This started like 3 days ago. Should i go to the doctor and get it checked out? Tylenol does not help at all. And im allergic to ibuprofen.
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani (51 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
see a orthopedician or rheumatologist

Detailed Answer:

As per your history it seems that you have greater trochenter bursitis. Unfortuantely without an opportunity to physically examine you, I can only provide an opinion and not confirmation. I will suggest that you see a doctor who will perform an examination and perhaps order for hip X-ray.

In the meanwhile you might try tylenol 650mg tablets and see if it helps as you are allergic to ibuprofen. If that doesn't help, there are prescription drugs that will help. You will receive those from your doctor.

Hope this will help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Alokkalyani

Rheumatologist