question-icon

Suggest treatment for sharp pain from neck that radiates to head

Posted on Tue, 27 Jan 2015
Question: Hi I had a sharp pain shoot from my neck into my head and since I feel
Like I've a pressure at the base of my skull. I am photophobia and nauseous too. I ache and when I bend down the pressure is unbearable. I feel like I have the flu but only had that 4 weeks ago and recovered. What is wrong?
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Borade (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Possibilty of meningitis

Detailed Answer:
hi,
I can understand that you have following problems,
1)shooting pain from neck to head
2) Photophobia
3) Flu like symptoms in past

It points towards a vague picture of Meningitis like condition.
History of fever, neck stiffness, and raised intracranial tension are the symptoms of it.
I suggest get an MRI scan done. As it will help us with the findings.

thank you

Dr Pankaj Borade
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Pankaj Borade (10 hours later)
Would you recommend i go to the hospital? My sinuses seem very congested today and i just ache.
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Borade (10 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the follow up.
Well, a complicated sinusitis is very likely. However, a serious condition of meningitis cannot be ignored, esp. with neck pain n stiffness, and photophobia.
In any case an MRI can is very much the investigation to look forward to.
Yes, plz consult a neurologist in personal, as sinus palpation can make the diagnosis clear.
A proper antibiotic course will help you recover fast and will prevent complications.

Dr Pankaj Borade
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Pankaj Borade (13 hours later)
What does it mean on a ct scan if there is an area of low attenuation im relation to my symptoms and ongoing head pain?
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Borade (25 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Kindly provide detailed report

Detailed Answer:
A brain tissues ability to absorb XRay as they pass through a substance is known as attenuation.
Depending the involved area of low attenuation, that one can signify its relevance as its can be normal and abnormal.
A complete report will be needed to comment on its relation to the symptoms.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Pankaj Borade

Psychiatrist