Suggest treatment for sharp pain and swelling on the ankles

Dr. Chander Mohan Singh

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 16 Jan 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: It hurts to bear weight on my right ankle on the outside. It's a very sharp pain. There is no swelling or bruising. I do have prior injuries to that area. It also hurts to move it upward when sitting. What should I do? Ice doesn't help it, heat doesn't help it. I'm on naproxen for pain from my hernia. On a scale from one to ten for pain (10 being vaginal reconstructive surgery when I was 16) it's a 5. I have to walk with a limp and not put my full weight on that ankle.
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated.

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query.

Pain in your anlkle may be due to ligament sprain , tear or cartilage damage which havw just started.

So for exact diagnosis to be made get CT scan of your ankle done and send me the report.

If cartilage comes out to be normal then physiotherapy of ankle may help you with painkillers, otherwise hyaluronidase injection or steroid injection will help you.

Till then have cap. rabiprazole in empty stomach, tab aceclofenac100mg+serratiopeptidase15mg three times a day, cap. pregabalin75mg+methylcobalamin750mcg at night.

I hope it helps.

Thanks,

Dr.CHANDER XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T