• question-icon

Suggest treatment for sharp lower back pain

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My stomach is bloated and seems harder than usual, and I have sharp pain in my lower back area on the right side. I donated my left kidney 5 months ago; had a quick, normal recovery. I am a 63 year old, healthy male.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Given that you have just the one kidney, it is important that these symptoms be looked into promptly. Pain in the flank area can be due to a kidney stone, kidney infection (although with the latter there is usually also nausea and sometimes fever), and other kidney related problems. It's also possible that the pain is related to a muscle strain (but that wouldn't explain the bloating), or pain radiating from he liver or gallbladder although that usually does not radiate to the lower back but rather higher up.

I recommend going in to be seen at an urgent care clinic and if one is not available, then the ER. They should check a dip urinalysis (a quick version that can be done on site), send it for a complete urinalysis, and draw blood for BUN and Creatinine levels (signs of kidney function). It would also be worthwhile to get a liver panel blood test too. And I'd advise a KUB Xray which is a regular X-ray of the kidneys, ureters, and bladder. If there is a calcium based stone present, it will show up but other types of stones (such as urea stones) will often not show up.

Treatment will depend on what these tests and physical exam find.

If at all possible, specifically request to see a doctor rather than a PA or NP.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh