Suggest treatment for shaky feeling and fast heart beat

Dr. Manisha Gopal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: Feel a Lil shaky and feel my heart beating fast and get hot. Started a night ago...then did it while watching TV and feel this way again tonight
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please get blood pressure readings and ECG

Detailed Answer:

Your symptoms are of recent onset and donot seem to have any percipitating factor, like- stressful event in near past or same day..or increase in an ongoing stress in life (there is no mention of this in query).

1. So, techically in such cases we need to rule out cardiac cause. Please get your blood pressure readings daily twice for a week, get an ECG. Get them checked by a physician or a cardiologist.

2. These can be related to peri-menopausal (if that you are having) situation. This situation can also lead to flushing (hot flashes), anxiety, and increased heart beats on and off. So, meds will help a lot. Antidepressant drugs like desvenlafaxine 50-100mg and multivitamin supplements.

Please do not worry, this situation can be managed but first rule out cardiac related reasons.

Wish you good health.
Please feel free to ask more questions to clarify any doubts.

Dr. Manisha Gopal
MD Neuropsychiatry
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj