Suggest treatment for severe whiplash along with upper back and shoulder pain

Posted on Tue, 13 Dec 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello,
I was in a bad auto accident on October 27th. I have been unable to return to work. I sustained a severe whiplash, upper and lower back issues, and tremendous pain in my shoulders, particularly my right shoulder.
An MRI last week detected two partial tears and I'm seeing a surgeon on Monday. I notice when I walk, my arm doesn't swing. This is the radiology report: Partial thickness tear/tendinopathy of the supraspinatus tendon. The partial tear is along the articular surface. No full-thickness rotator cuff tendon tear is seen. Subchondrial cystic degenerative changes in the mid to inferior glenoid. Degenerative changes also seen within the inferior labrum. Prior to this auto accident, I was seeing Dr. Greenberg from Cherry Hill, New XXXXXXX for stem cell/proloterhapy injections for a severe ankle injury. My ankle is doing great today! I have seen Dr. Greenberg twice for the other auto injuries, yet my shoulder is not responding to his treatments. I also cannot lay on my right side during the night, or I wake up immediately. My question for you is - will arthoscopic surgery relieve my pain? Thank you for your time and consideration of my question. Have a blessed Thanksgiving!
XXXXXXX Christ
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
The arthroscopic surgery will help to relieve your pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi Dear User ! Thank you for posting your questions here.

This procedure (arthropaty surgery ) it's a good treatment to repair the tored supraspinatus tendons and other damaged tissue when the pain in your shoulder does not go away with the non surgical treatment that you are doing. Maximum after some weeks you pain normally go away .

Your pain in the right side that wake you up during the night shows me that is caused by you supraspinatus tendons primarily, also the injections in the joint sometimes cause pain after you do that procedure..
I recommend to follow the advice of the doctor that is treating you, injection , rest , physical therapy, antiimmflamator drugs .If the pain do not go away after having several times injection you should discuss with your doctor about surgery choise. Meanwhile avoid laying in you right side as you can and take painkillers to reduce the pain.
Remember that all the things you do ( taking painkillers , physical therapy ,rest ,injection or surgery have to follow carefully for a full recovery and full pain relief.

Hope I have answered your questions .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help .
Take Care!
Have a blessed Thanksgiving too.
Dr Rudina

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Rudina Balliu