Suggest treatment for severe watery diarrhea and weight loss

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Begining of 2015 I had severe watery diarrhea for about 2 months. I had a colonoscopy done and was diagnosed with collagenous colitis. I was put on Budesonide for 3 months and I recovered. But the doctor told me that in the future I might have episodes of collagenous colitis and described me a course of 3 months Budesonide in case I get it again.
7 months ago I started suferring from eczema and given creams and antihestamines which did not help. Then the doctor put me on 10 mg Prednisone then reduced to 5 mg daily which I am taking until today.
1 month ago I started having watery diarrhea again ( about 8 times bowel movements daily). I think it is an episode of collagenous colitis. (I am on 200 mg Sertraline (Zoloft) which I read that it can cause collagenous colitis and I will switch to another antidepressant.
Now I will start taking the Budenoside for 3 months because of the severe watery diarrhea as the doctor told me in 2015.
I think that I have to stop taking the 5mg Prednisone.
My question is : am I right to start the Budesonide and stop the Predisone as both are steroids. And would the Budesonide help the eczema.
I am losing weight as anything I eat causes me a bowel movement.

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read carefully all your concerns and I understood your query.

With regards to the question if you can stop prednisone and start budesonide. yes you can stop using prednisone and start budesonide .
Budesonid is the best choice for collagenous colitis. the dose of prednisone that you have used is too low and thi sis why you don't have any improvement of diarrhea.
You can start budesonide with 9 mg per day, this dosage is equivalent with 75 mg prednisone.

You are asking about the effect of budesonide on eczema. It is a steroid too in fact an dit will help about eczema.
On the other hand eczema is a side effect of budesonide and other corticosteroids.
This is why I cans say surely that budesonide will help to eczema.
But you need to use it since you have a watery diarrhea and thi sis more important now.
After you have been improved from diarrhea I would suggest to use topical steroids about eczema.
Meantime I would suggest to use probiotics plus budesonide for diarrhea.
Wish you fats recovery.
Dr.Klerida