Suggest treatment for severe vomiting in a child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi, My 3.8year old daughter is suffering from continual vomiting since couple of hours. Vomit basically is watery and saliva. There is very little temperature as of now. She isn't consuming food and water and looks dehydrated. For now we have used tonic (snapshot attached) as immediate remedy.
Please advise
XXXX XXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ORS is the mainstay of treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It seems that your child has an episode of gastritis or food poisoning. It could be due to contaminated food or improper hand hygiene.

In any case, you need to give your child some antiemetic like Emiday (ondansetron) as and when needed, especially before feeds (15 min-30 min prior to feeds). The mainstay of treatment is ORS (oral rehydration solution). Unless the lost salts and fluids are replenished the child would become dehydrated. It is ok if the child does not feed well but proper fluid intake has to be ensured. The urine output needs to be monitored. If the frequency comes down it indicates dehydration and calls for additional supplementation of fluids. But if the child becomes lethargic you would need to take the child to a hospital without delay.

You need to be patient. The vomiting and loose stools may persist for a couple of days before it resolves.

Please be patient. It may take a few days for the situation to return to normal. Feel free to write back.