Suggest treatment for severe vomiting in a child

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello,

For the past 4 days our 3-yearold has been vomiting in his sleep. He is happy, healthy, active and lively. But then he goes to sleep and, like clockwork, in the middle of the night he wakes up in his vomit - mostly small chunks of food, slightly brown, no green/blood/bile. He gets very distressed and starts crying. Once or twice he vomited a second time after the first. He goes to bed about 2-3 hours after dinner and he hasn't shown any signs of stomachache/fever/temperature/coughing/rash/allergy. He has two brothers and they're perfectly healthy.

The only thing I can think of that might be relevant is that immediately before this started happening he touched the toilet seat while he was peeing and then touched his tongue. Could he have contracted an infection? Shall we take him to the pediatrician immediately?

Thank you so much!
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be due to gastritis and gastroesophageal reflux

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for choosing this platform

I really appreciate the way you have provided such a detailed history.
Most common cause of vomiting in this age is some gastritis(mostly due to viral infection and sometimes due to temporary increase in acid production).
Vomiting may get precipitated during night hours due to reflux of stomach content(as effect of gravity eliminates while on bed).
Here general care like taking large meal at least 2-3 hours before going to bed, keeping the head end slightly up while sleeping, avoidance of citrus fruits and giving proper fluid to avoid dehydration with medications like lansoprazole/ranitidine(acid reducing agent) helps. I don't think it is related to the history of touching the toilet as such type of infections are usually bacterial but the client iCal condition doesn't appears to bacterial infection.
I won't get overly worried as child is otherwise active and there are no other significant problems. I request you to consult a pediatrician for prescription of the medicine and for clinical evaluation in general.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Wishing for your child's good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D