Suggest treatment for severe vomiting in a child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,
My 5 year old daughter early tis morning started vomiting . However the vomit is not containing any food like substance . But full of fleme and liquid. Tried giving ondom, even that came out as well. Suggest medici
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ORS is the mainstay of treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query. The condition is not to be ignored. The mainstay of treatment would be ORS (oral rehydration solution). Give it to her in small amounts sip by sip. Unless adequate replenishment of water and salts is done the child may become dehydrated.

You can give some antiemetic like Ondem (ondansetron) when required but other than that no medicines are required. I would insist you to wait and watch. Hold feeds till she again feels hungry (a meal may be skipped if necessary). Thereafter you can give normal diet (whatever she regularly eats) but preferably low on oil and spices. I would discourage giving milk as of now although curd can be given.

The same may continue for another few days. If the urine frequency is normal you need not worry. If urine output diminishes you would need to rush the child to a hospital.

Hopefully that would help. Feel free to write back in case of further queries.