Suggest treatment for severe vertigo when diagnosed with osteoarthritis

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Thank you.
A brief history...
I'm originally from North Holland, Netherlands right on the North Sea there I
was then a competitive gymnast in the 50's, Speedskating also as a young girl
After immigrating with my Mom, Dad to CA I've had 4 laminectomies @ Stanford Hospital at the age between 29 and my late thirties surgeries were @ L-5 to including S-1. Now @ age 71 yrs. young recently I hear and feel my joints in my lower spine above L-5 intense popping & intensely loud.
Please look at my illnesses here on the document enclosed. Also that includes severe Vertigo
because also my illness is getting worse which makes me be half of the day or more in bed
IMG_0587.JPG
I do have to say my brother had 5 Lumbar surgeries including 2 of my Uncles on my mothers side.
Thank you so very much!
I so appreciate your opinion in this matter.
Thea Terlouw-Hess
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
osteoarthritis of facetal joints of lumbar spine

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

At present,the intense popping that you feel in the lower back is due to the osteoarthritis of the facetal joints in the lumbar spine.(Facetal joints are small joints present on either side of the vertebra meant to allow fine movements within the vertebral column)

After undergoing so many laminectomies in a young age,the weight bearing load of the body gets transferred to these facetal joints between the adjacent lumbar vertebrae. This causes significant wear and tear of the protective articular cartilage in these joints .

This causes reduction in lubricant synovial fluid content of these joints causing that typical intense popping.

Unfortunately,the report / image that you have tried to upload is not visible here. Please try and re-load it so that i can guide you in a better way.

At present,you can use a lumbar support brace and do back stretching / strengthening exercises.

Glucosamine+MSM+chondroitin sulfate+diacerin tablets along with calcium and vitamin D supplements will help reduce the symptoms.

Anti inflammatory analgesics like ibuprofen,tramadol with local gel application and hot fomentation will help if the pain is severe.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng