Suggest treatment for severe twinges and shooting pain in abdomen

Question
Having moderate to severe twinges, shooting pain down my right side of the abdomen for 2-3 days now. Tried the McBurneys manuever and it does not seem to make it feel better pressing inward and letting go.
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suspect of acute appendicitis...

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for posting!

I have gone through your query and I understand your concerns.

According to what you have said above, the greatest probability stands for an inflammation of the appendix ( appendicitis).

I must say that this is a surgical emergency. You must immediately go to the emergency room.

You need a physical examination by your surgeon, which is decisive in the determination of the diagnosis.

You also need a complete blood count. If the result shows an increased number of leukocytes ( white blood cells ), this confirms the diagnosis.

An urine test is needed to rule out the probability of kidney and urinary tract problems. If these tests are negative, then you need an abdominal ultrasound followed by a CT-scan.

You need to consult a General surgeon, in order to discuss about your condition.

Feel free to ask me for anything unclear.

All the best,
Dr. Behar.