Suggest treatment for severe tooth pain

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Dental Health
Question: I have severe tooth pain in my wisdom tooth. It has to be extracted due to cavity. Dentist has given augmentin and dt dolonex twice a day but pain is not going away. I switched to combiflam last night. But effect is staying only for 4 hrs. Can I take another dose as doctor will come in only by 10 am and if us still 6.30 am
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
metronidazole, continue combiflam, ketorol, tooth extraction

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query.

As far as the pain in the wisdom tooth is concerned, it is because of the infection in the root tip. I would prefer to add metronidazole along with augmentin (if you are not allergic). You can continue combiflam. You can take maximum of 4 tablets in a day.

Till you get the tooth removed pain will be there. I am sure your dentist will prescribe better pain medications such as ketorol DT to help you tolerate pain. Get it treated as early as possible. With combination of the above drugs infection should come down along with pain.

Do saline gargling.

I hope I have answered your query. If any queries are there reply me back. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery