Suggest treatment for severe tinnitus

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Good morning. I am having a problem with hearing my pulse in the left side of my head. It is the same speed as my heart beat and very worrysome to me. It goes on constantly, during the day I can deal with it, as I keep busy doing things but night time is absolutely impossible to sleep unless I take sleeping medication, which is almost every night. What is your professional opinion? I am so worried. Thank you. I am taking Temazepam 15 mg every evening for sleep. Is it dangerous to use this on a regular basis ? Could I have a tumor ? Nothing showed up on the MRI test.
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus.

Detailed Answer:
The symptom you are having is called Tinnitus.
Tinnitus is a physical condition, experienced as noises or ringing in the ears or head when no such external physical noise is present. Tinnitus is usually caused by a fault in the hearing system; it is a symptom, not a disease in itself.The most common cause of tinnitus is damage and loss of the tiny sensory hair cells in the cochlea of the inner ear. This damage typically occurs as a result of the normal aging process, and from prolonged exposure to excessively loud noise. Hearing loss coincides with tinnitus.Tinnitus is not usually dangerous, but it can cause sleep loss, anxiety, fatigue, and stress.
Diagnosis-pure tone audiometry will be done to see if hearing in both ear is normal.Some times tinnitus is caused due to tumour like vestibular schawnomma,Normal MRI rules out this possibility.A complete E.N.T evaluation is necessary to rule out cause of tinnitus.
Temazepam is a benzodiazepene and can be habit forming,I would suggest you to take hypnotics like zolpidem which are not habit forming and induces sleep.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad