Suggest treatment for severe throat pain

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, I have been having pain behind my left tonsil for about 6 weeks now, it is not severe and only hurts when I swallow. no other syntoms. I took a picture of the area and there is something white there, have no idea if this is supposed to be there or if its actually whats causing me to feel pain. sorry about how bad the picture is but I thought it would be good to add.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for worry.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The white patch behind the tonsil is the lateral pharyngeal band of lymphoid ( tonsil like ) tissue.

2.The pale white appearance of this area represents a chronic inflammation due to chronic infection, allergy or a Post Nasal Drip ( PND ).

3. The tonsil itself appears slightly congested (red) and enlarged. This would explain the pain while swallowing.

4. A routine course of medication should settle this down. A search for the source of a PND or allergy should be done if this recurs.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 days later
hello, I was diagnosed with mono. blood work showed high levels of that Epstein Barr Virus thing. really don't know what it means. Doctor prescribed prednisone, will these take care of it? that white patch behind my tonsil is still there and today was hurting really bad even to take deep breath. anything I can do to make ir better? this really makes me feel very bad some days. thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details as described below :

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Infectious Mononucleosis is a self limiting infection.

2. Request your doctor to add anti-inflammatory medication, an anti acidity medication and medicated gargles.

3. Take adequate rest and keep yourself well hydrated.

4. Avoid antibiotics such as ampicillin/ amoxicillin as these cause a rash in cases of Infectious Mononucleosis.

5. Keep a regular follow up till these symptoms subside.

Regards.