Suggest treatment for severe throat pain and weakness

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: My son is 9 year old. He is having cold. Clavum 375 twice is it recommend ed. He is having little throat pain but severe weekmess.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue clavam, give some antiallergic and decongestant

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

Clavam is an antibiotic contains Amoxycillin and clavulinic acid.The dose of clavam 375 twice a day is appropriate for 9 years old. Bacterial sore throat responds well to the Clavam.
For throat pain warm saline gargle and cough lozenges(ginger, honey or mint based) will help.
Give him plenty of fluids and try to feed him small frequent feeds to combat the weakness.
Antiallergic and decongestant combination like phenylephrine and chlorpheniramine may also be given if irritation in throat is severe.

I hope this helps.
I shall be glad to help you out if you have any more query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 38 minutes later
Sorry. Dr had precribed him clamp kid 278 but i wan the dosage for how much a day and how long to be taken. And he is having 99_ 100 fever also for which i am giving him calpol250 5 ml. And is the weekness ok and how long it will remain. For acidity i am giving him gelucel susp 5ml. Is it ok
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The dose of Amoxycillin is 20_40 mg/kg/day

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

Clamp kid contains 200 mg of Amoxycillin and 28 mg of clavulunate.
The dose is calculated from Amoxycillin and it is 20-40 mg/kg/day in two divided dosage.
I have searched for but did not find the weight of your child. The average weight of 9 years old child is about 25 kgs. So 375 mg twice a day(equivalent to 500 mg of amoxycillin/day) is appropriate.
If the weight of your child is 25 kg as I assumed, the dose of clamp kid will be underdose.
Usually 5- 7 days course of antibiotic is sufficient for sore throat.
Similarly dose of calpol/paracetamol is 10-15 mg/kg/day and it can be given 3-4 times a day depending on severity. Mild weakness and acidity is common during fever and sore throat.
In most of the cases it usually improves within 5-7 days. Continue giving gelucil suspension with same dosing.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
He is having cough in the throat which he is not able to throw out and i had made him salt gargle also. His weight is 28. He is getting tuspel plus. Expectorant also
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Continue Tuspel with antibiotic and calpol

Detailed Answer:
Tuspel plus contains terbutaline which prevents airway spasm and ambroxol which acts as an expectorant.
Continue Tuspel plus with antibiotic clavam 375 and calpol syrup. I hope he will be OK within 3-5 days with this treatment.