Suggest treatment for severe throat infection, fever and cough

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had throat infection about 3 weeks back with fever ,i did a course of antibiotics cefixine 200 mg for 5 days.but since then i am still having throat pain and specially at nite and can feel the tonsils or something swollen when i feel my throat,with some occasional cough.please suggest,i had oral with my partner,could that be a cause of bacterial infection!
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes, it can be due to the oral exposure

Detailed Answer:
hello

Yes it is possible that the infection can be due to oral and you may need antibiotics for the same. Cefixime may not be the right choice and in my patients i would normally start on cap doxycycline 100 mg twice a day.I would also ask my patients to gargle with warm salt water 2-3 times a day as it will reduce the pain and infection.

If the pain persists for more than 10 days , then it is better that you meet an ent doctor and get your throat checked.

Take care!!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 24 hours later
Sir should i take the antibiotic or get my self evalued from an ent?the pain in the throat is only there in the nite.there is also redness when i look at the throat in the mirror!
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should get yourself evaluated

Detailed Answer:
Hello

The best thing would be to meet an ent doctor and get yourself checked. Especially considering the fact that the infection may be sexual transmitted.

The doctor may take a throat swab to confirm which organism is growing and will also prescribe you the antibiotic.