Suggest treatment for severe throat infection and severe body pain

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Throat infection with pain, cold with sneezing and fever of 99.5 and body pain... taking salt water gargles , benedryl.. took 2 doses of dolo and 1 dose of combiflame... no improvement in condition from last 3 days
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow the Advises..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome to HealthcareMagic,
I've gone through your query and understand your concern,

In order to guide you more specifically, a few more details required i.e.

Is there any cough dry/productive, any phlegma, if yes; what is the color of it ?

Is there any difficulty in talking ? any hoarseness of voice ?

Any difficulty breathing ?

Any runny nose ? If yes, what is the color of the secretions coming out of nose ?

Any headache / feeling heaviness over head / bodyache etc. ?

No need of taking Benadryl if no cough and/runny nose..no need to take Combiflam also..

Most likely fever is there due to upper respiratory tract infection/pharyngitis and/ tonsillitis, should be treated with appropriate antibiotic therapy..

I suggest my patients to be on Tab AZITHROMYCIN 500mg Once daily (with or after food ) for next 10 days (prescription drug, so please obtain it from the local physician)..

Good that you've started salt water gargles, continue it for the time being, additionally, start Betadine gurgle three times daily for next 7 days as an alternative fashion..

Continue Tab PARCETAMOL(Dolo) 650mg round the clock two to three times daily after food for next 2-3 days for the fever and pain..

Cap PANTOPRAZOLE 40mg Once Daily in empty stomach (15-20 min before breakfast) for next 10 days to prevent any drug induced / underlying acidity..

Steam inhalation three times daily (make sure to cover the head properly with a towel for 2-3 mins while doing this)..

Try to avoid any cold drinks, dairy products, sour foods for the time being..

Make sure to remain well hydrated, drink plenty of water (~ 2.5-3 ltr per day) and XXXXXXX warm liquids (eg. herbal/green tea, soups, broths, porridge etc.).. avoid spicy foods and have simple home cooked meals for the time being..

With all these followed strictly, you should be fine, however, if at all observed any further worsening of the symptoms, recurrence of fever, then I'd strongly suggest to get yourself clinically evaluated by any Internal medicine specialist or to any nearby healthcare facility..

Do let me know how you stay in the due course..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee